Prep Time: 15 min.
Cook Time: 45 min.
Total Time: 1 hr.
) 1 Lb. Ground Beef
) 1 Lb. Bacon (Sliced into 1" wide pieces)
) 1 Lg. Sweet Onion (Chopped)
) 1 Pkg. Mushrooms (Chopped)
) 1 Pkg. Matchstick Cut Carrots
) 1 Beef Bouillon Cubes
) Instant Potatoes or traditionally prepared mashed potatoes
) 1/2 Ranch Dressing Mix Packet
) Grated Cheese
1. In the DO, cook the ground beef. Drain and set aside.
2. In the DO, cook the bacon until crispy. Drain most of the grease and set aside.
3. Saute the chopped onions, mushrooms, and carrots until the onions become translucent.
Add the beef bullion cube to the vegetables and mix in until the cube is completely
5. Return the ground beef and bacon to the vegetables.
Add enough flour that the mixture begins to thicken and individual items begin to stick to
In a separate bowl prepare enough Instant Potatoes or mashed potatoes to cover the
meat/vegetable mixture in the DO. This is usually about 8 servings of Instant Potatoes.
Once the potatoes have been prepared mix in the Ranch Dressing Mix into the Potatoes.
8. Use the potatoes and cover the meat/vegetable mixture in the DO.
9. Cover the potatoes liberally with your choice of shredded cheese.
10. Roast at 350* for 30 minutes. Since everything has been previously cooked, this bake
time allow the flavors to meld together and just make sure that everything is at a safe
temperature to eat.
Tips and Tricks:
) This is a great recipe for camping. The ground beef and bacon can be cooked at
home before the camping trip and then frozen. This cuts down the prep time
) When cooking at home, we'll occasionally cook the ground beef and bacon in a cast iron
skillet on the stovetop instead of in the Dutch Oven to speed up the cooking time.
) If you like more of a soupy consistency to your Shepherd's Pie than what this offers, once
everything is mixed together, omit the flour and add a can of Cream of Mushroom soup